The City is Looking for Civic Minded People to Serve...
The City of Whiteville is seeking residents who are interested in participating in their community by serving on one of a variety of commissions and committees that oversee specific issue areas and make recommendations to the Council.
Terms vary for each of the commissions and committees, applicants should look at the individual commission or committee for which they are applying to get specific details.
The Council is currently accepting applications for the following commissions and committees:
• ABC Board – Accepting application to fill one vacancy. Consists of 7 members appointed for 3 year staggered terms. Only City residents may apply.
• Community Appearance Commission – Accepting applications. Number of members not yet determined, nor the period of time allocated for the commission. City-wide and ETJ residents may apply. This commission is goal orientated pursuant to City Ordinance No. 22.020 and 22.021.
• Housing Authority Board – Accepting applications. Accepting applications to fill two vacancies (unexpired term five year terms). The Housing Authority Board consists of five commissioners, each appointed by the Mayor/Council of the City. This Board meets four/five times per year. City Ordinance No. 22.001-.005.
• Human Relations Commission – Accepting applications. Number of members not yet determined, nor the period of time allocated for the commission. City-wide and ETJ residents may apply. This commission is goal orientated pursuant to City Ordinance No. 22.020 and 22.021.
• Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee – Accepting applications to fill two vacancies (a 2 yr term and a 1 yr term). Consists of 7 members appointed for terms of 3 and 2 years terms, and only one member (a high school student) will serve a one year term.
• Planning Board/Board of Adjustment – Accepting applications to fill one vacancy with a resident who resides within the City limits. Consists of 6 members who live reside within the City limits, and 4 members who reside in the City’s ETJ, appointed for 3 year staggered terms. The Planning Board will assume the duties of the Board of Adjustment, serving in dual capacity.
Apply at https://whitevillenc.gov/forms-1 and click on the Application for Advisory Board Membership form.
For additional information, contact the Office of the City Clerk at 910-642-8046, extension 1007.