The City’s Planning, Zoning, and Inspections department assists the City Council and appointed Boards (Planning and Zoning Board and the Board of Adjustment) in several areas. Some of these areas are managing growth and promoting public health, safety and general welfare through the formulation of plans, policy recommendations as well as the administration of the City’s Code, North Carolina State Building Codes and various nuisance codes and statutes.
The goal of the department is to provide the very best service to our customers in the development community, while developing strategies to guide growth in a manner that preserves and enhances both the natural and built environments and creating a community of lasting value.
Some functions of this department include:
- Preparing/revising/updating zoning and subdivision ordinances
- Enforcing and interpreting ordinances
- Review and processing of plans for permits and public hearings
- Conduct of inspections and code enforcement
- Staff support to the Planning and Zoning Board and the Board of Adjustment
- Maintenance of the Land Use Plan and Official Zoning Map
- Conduct for fire inspections in assembly, business, mercantile, factory-industrial, hazardous, daycare, foster care, institutional and educational facilities
- Conduct of fire safety and training to staff and the public
- Risk Management for the City
- Special Events Management in the City
Preliminary Flood Hazard Data
Preliminary flood hazard data is available for review on the FRIS website. This information is only available in digital form. Public Participation Meetings will be held to receive public comments prior to the adoption of the maps.
Hal Lowder, Jr. was appointed by the City Manager on May 4, 2015. He has worked in the public sector since 1978 serving citizens in the State of Georgia, and now in the City of Whiteville.
During his career in the fire and safety arena, Mr. Lowder, has achieved a number of certifications throughout the United States related to fire and safety training, to also include emergency management. Mr. Lowder is a certified NC Level III Fire Inspector.
Mr. Lowder has attended and studied at Emanuel College, Southern Polytechnic University, and is a graduate of Covenant Life Seminary and Lanier Technical College in Theology (Christian Ministries). He studied Criminal Justice and Fire Science Technology.
Mr. Lowder served in the US Army, and during Operation Desert Storm and Operation Desert Shield.
Contact Planning + Inspection
26 Hill Plaza
Whiteville, NC 28472
- Administrative Appeal Application
- Business Packet
- Conditional Use Permit
- Floodplain Development Permit Application
- Request for Change of Zoning Guidelines
- Sign Permit Application
- Site Plan Submittal Checklist
- Variance Application
- Zoning Ordinance Amendment Application
- Zoning Permit Application
- Building Permit Checklist
- Commercial Permit Application
- Demolition Permit Application
- Electrical & Mechanical Application
- Insulation Permit Application
- Manufactured Home Set-Up Permit Checklist
- Plumbing, Fuel, Gas, Refrigeration Permit Application
- Residential Building Permit Application
- Residential Swimming Pool, Spa, or Hot Tub Permit Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you need to submit a:
Change of Zone application?
Street and alley closing petition?
Variance and special use request?
Request for City or State Road Closures for a Special Event in the City?
Request for certificates of appropriateness?
Kyle Duncan was appointed by the City Manager on October 31, 2016. He has worked in the public sector since 2005 serving area citizens of Columbus County. Mr. Duncan began working in the field of construction and as an electrician as early as 1985.
Mr. Duncan holds the NC Standard Inspection Certificates in all four trades, Building, Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing. He also holds a limited NC electrical contractor's license.
Director of Planning